Barcelona still need to strengthen squad, Xavi says after disappointing draw to start LaLiga

Barcelona still need to strengthen squad, Xavi says after disappointing draw to start LaLiga

Published August 14, 2022
Views 18

Jules Kounde has not yet been registered and won’t be until Barca create more salary space, but the Blaugrana are pursuing further signings, with Marcos Alonso, Bernardo Silva and possibly another right-back all wanted.

“But I don’t want to use that as an excuse [for the Rayo result]. I understand the disappointment, expectations are really high. We will have to analyse the game, improve and keep believing in the model of play.

To bring in more bodies, therefore, it is still necessary for other players to leave first. Midfielder Frenkie de Jong is wanted by Manchester United and Chelsea but sources have told ESPN he remains keen to stay at Barca.

“He did very well coming on today — like last week. I don’t know what will happen in the transfer market, but if he stays, he will be very important for us. Especially with the attitude he has and his performances.”